In the past several years, mixes have become way more popular than they have ever been. Some credit Poodle mixes for that, but it is not just Poodles. There are many more mixes that have been popular in the canine world. For example, Chihuahua mixes are right there with Poodles. Today, we will talk about Chihuahua Husky Mix, a cross between a large and small dog.
This shocking and unusual breed comes from two parents that are often described as challenging. So, why would you consider a cross between two challenging dog breeds? Well, one might say you can get the good parts of each dog breed.
Chihuahuas are full of life, and Huskies are working dog breed. Let’s get to know the mix between these two purebred dog breeds.
Are Chihuahua Mixes Popular?
Mixes incorporate different types of dogs. In the past few years, some of the best-purebred parents have been Poodles, Chihuahuas, Pitbulls, Beagles, Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, and more.
Chihuahuas are popular because of their bossy personality. Despite their small size, they are full of character and joy for life.
And they are among the longest-living dog breeds. When you get your puppy from a reputable breeder, you increase the chances for a long and prosperous life for your canine.
We have to note though, that like with other mixed breed dogs, your Husky Chihuahua mix puppy is not recognized by The American Kennel Club.
Chihuahua Personality Traits
Small but mighty, this is the best way to describe the purebred Chihuahua parent. The dog is the national symbol of Mexico, and for a big reason. Here are some common personality traits of Chihuahuas.
- Excellent companion dogs that love attention and are loyal to their dog owner
- Active and love to be kept occupied
- Prone to barking compared to larger dogs
- Alpha dog personality and often seeks to dominate its owner
- Fiercely loyal, loves to give and receive attention
- They have a reputation for snapping at strangers
- When threatened, they will show courage and will not back to anyone
- Great alert dog
Husky Personality Traits
Huskies are some of the most entertaining and engaged dogs in the canine world. They too thrive on attention. While many call them high-maintenance dogs, when socialized and trained properly, they are a joy to have around. Here are some classic personality traits of a Siberian Husky.
- Good-natured, ongoing, and super friendly, this dog is quite the extrovert
- They need social stimulation from others around them, including humans and dogs
- Siberian Husky was once a sled dog, and maintains its pack orientation to this day
- They are prone to separation anxiety and should not be left alone for a long time
- Their natural instinct is to pull
- They need quite a lot of exercise, so if you are not an active person, Huskies are not for you
- Huskies are known as escape artists, they can dig out, jump out, or run around. It is best that you walk them on a leash
- Smart and independent thinkers, they decide what you want and what they want
- While they are trainable, you might get outsmarted every once in a while
- They have a high prey drive
- Huskies are vocal, but they do not bark. Instead, they howl
- This loyal family dog is gentle around children
How Will Your Husky Chi Mix Look Like?
So, now let’s get to your Chihuahua Husky mix. What does this Husky Chi mix look like? Well, appearance is heavily influenced by the parent breed that has more dominant genes.
For example, if your hybrid dog takes after the Chihuahua parent, it might have a deer head or apple head appearance. Your dog will also have full round eyes that can be luminous or dark in color. The coat can be either smooth or long.
If your puppy has more dominant Husky genes, they will have almond-shaped eyes in blue or brown color. Their nose would be black or liver, and their muzzle will be of medium length. As for the coat, your Siberian Husky Chihuahua mix will be well-furred. Same as Huskies, it might have a double coat that is medium in length.
One of the big questions people have is about the size. Generally speaking, this dog weighs between 8 and 20 pounds and stands between 6 and 15 inches. Notice the huge difference, it is all because you cross two dogs that are different in size. One is small, and the other is a medium-to-large dog.
Same as with appearance, temperament and personality also vary depending on which genes are more dominant.
But generally speaking, your Chihuahua Husky mix puppy should have the genes of both parents. Huskies are outgoing and friendly hard-working dogs. On the other hand, Chihuahuas are a bit more alert and aloof around strangers. Your mixed dog should be friendlier than a Chihuahua, but not as friendly as a Husky.
Both parents are active, so you will get a bit bigger dog than a Chihuahua with a friendlier attitude and still as active.
Yet, you should also expect a stubborn and bossy dog. After all, Chihuahuas are bossy, while Huskies can be quite stubborn. But that is all because of their high intelligence.
As we said before, expect your crossbreed to be quite active. Both of the parents are active dogs, and your Husky mix will retain its exercise needs.
But depending on the size of your puppy, it is important not to overexert him. On hot days, these dogs should be closely monitored. Remember, Siberian Huskies are more comfortable in cold weather. So when the extreme temperatures come, pay attention to the mood and activity of your dog.
This is a big challenge, but one that can be handled with proper training. Yes, these dogs can be stubborn and bossy. But obedience training will go a long way in improving the temperament and character of your puppy.
Socialization is a must. Your Chi Husky Mix has to learn how to be comfortable around other animals and strangers. With proper training and socialization, you can get a great family dog.
Your mixed dog will respond perfectly to treats and praise. Huskies are known to eat everything, from regular dog food to anything you can give them. So, your mix will also be food-driven. Make sure to include lots of treats in training.
Be consistent and show your puppy what good and acceptable behavior is.
If you are looking for a pet that looks like a Husky but is a bit less maintenance, this designer dog is the way to go. It will probably retain the double coat, but it will be short. This makes it easier for grooming and maintenance. Regular brushing will do the trick.
Potential Health Issues
One of the reasons people get mixed breeds is to eliminate dog health issues. Generally speaking, both parent breeds are healthy breeds. Chihuahuas are some of the longest-living breeds.
Some of the issues Huskies and Chihuahuas have can be resolved by crossbreeding. If you have a Husky Chi mix, you can expect a dog breed that lives between 12 and 15 years.
For example, one of the problems you might resolve with crossbreeding is hip dysplasia, a common problem among larger dogs, but not so much in small dog breeds.
Why Should You Get A Husky Chihuahua Mix?
Let’s finish with a couple of reasons why you should consider getting this designer dog. Here are 5 reasons for you to choose a Husky Chihuahua mix.
- Rare dog with a unique look, an unexpected combination that is rare in the canine world
- Intelligent and sassy, your pet will retain the best traits of two popular dogs
- Quieter than regular Chihuahuas, a huge plus that any Chi owner will tell you
- Longer life expectancy compared to regular Siberian Husky
- Sheds less because of the shorter double coat